Obtaining / Setting Up a Student Account
Computer/User Account ID's are available for all full and part-time students. Your computer/user account will provide access to the college network, which is accessible only from the college labs and classrooms with computers. Student email, and the Blackboard Portal are accessible anywhere using an internet browser that has access to the internet.
Computer/User Account ID's for the academic year will be available 24 - 72 hours after Registration and Payment have been made.
You can request your account information through:
- Online - A link is provided on the main page of the Blackboard Portal. Click on the link: Set/change your password
- On-site - You can request this information in any college Open Access lab through the NICC logon. The username is NICC and the password is College1. The SWAT staff will be happy to assist you.
- Click on "Set / change your password"
- Click on "I am a Niagara College Student"
- Read the Computer and Network policy, after reading, click the "I understand and agree to the Computer and Network use policy". Then click "Next"
- Enter your student number and date of birth: Please note the correct format
- Birth date Format: YYYY-MM-DD
the year you were born (1985 = 1985)
the number of the month you were born (June = 06, July = 07)
the day of month you were born (if 1 through 9, enter as 01 - 09)
For example if you were born on July 4th 1985 you would need to input 1985-07-04
Enter a new password (twice) and then select a security question and answer it, then click "Next". The next screen will display all your information for logging onto the system, including your email, etc. Take a screen shot of this information and email it to yourself for safekeeping.
Your network user account, student portal user account and Blackboard portal account are all the same.
the 1st initial of your given name as provided on your Registration confirmation
your surname as provided on your Registration confirmation
a random numeric value
For example if your name is John Smith, your user name might be jsmith1
You must request your Computer/User account to set your password. The password you set will be used for logging into the computers at school, Blackboard and the wireless network.
Password Format: (when setting, changing, or resetting forgotten passwords). It must meet 3 of the 4 crtieria.
- 1 uppercase (capital) letter
- 1 lowercase (small) letter
- 1 digit
- 1 special character
Other password criteria.
- Cannot contain more than three letters concurrently of your username
- Must be a miniumum of 7 characters long
- Passwords cannot be reused
Computing and network users are solely responsible for security on all account’s assigned for their use, and are responsible for all actions taken under this account.
Secure your password – Do not lend a friend your account by revealing your password, and do not record your password in a notebook. Create a unique password unrelated to yourself. e.g. do not use your student number, your telephone number, a family member, pet’s or close friend’s name.
NOTE FOR NIAGARA COLLEGE LAPTOP USERS: If you are currently using a laptop given to you by the college, you will need to connect directly using a LAN line here at the college before you can log in again.
Changing your account password
To change your Network and Blackboard password, you will be asked for the current password. You will then put in your new password and the answer to the security question. If you cannot recall your password, see the Resetting Your Password tutorial.
Passwords can be changed:
- Online - A link is provided on the main page of the Blackboard Portal.
- On-site - You can also change your password in any college Open Access lab through the Username: NICC Password: College1
Passwords to student email accounts can be only done through the Student email system. Please remember that when you change your password, (on-line or on-site), this changes your network account and Blackboard portal passwords.
Still Not Sure? Want to see how it's done? Watch this video:
Resetting a forgotten password
If you have forgotten your password, you can still reset your password.
- Go to the Blackboard Portal
- Click on "Set/change your password"
- Click on “I am a Niagara College Student”
- Read the Computer and Network Use policy, after reading, click the “I understand and agree to the Computer and Network use policy” then click "Next"
- Enter your Student Number and your Date of Birth; please note the correct format (ex, 1987-01-28)
- Go to the sentence underneath the Current Password box and at the end click on "reset it" the next page will display your Security question, if you successfully answer it then the page that allows you to set your password will appear
If It should fail:
- Try the process again
- Contact the Service Desk
User Account Expired
Problem: User gets an 'Account Expired' error message.
Causes: You are no longer a staff member or not currently enrolled in classes.
If you are a student, make sure you are currently enrolled in classes and your fees are paid to date.
If you are staff, make sure that your TER has not expired by contacting your Staff/Admin Assistant, your supervisor or Human Resources.
Username or Password Incorrect
Problem: User receives an 'invalid credentials' error message.
Causes: The password or username is incorrect.
Invalid Student Number / Date of Birth
Problem: User receives an 'invalid name' error message.
Causes: Student's name and date of birth do not match exactly.
Be sure your name and date of birth match exactly. Contact the Registrar's Office to confirm this information.
Your account will only be made active 48 hours after your fees are processed by Niagara College, be sure you're not logging on too early.
Password Change Failed
Problem: Password change fails when user tries to change password.
Causes: New password does not meet the required criteria or the password has been previously used.
Make sure the password is at least 7 characters with at least 1 capital letter, 1 lowercase letter,1 number and/or a special character.
Make sure you have not used this password before.
You cannot use more than three letters concurrently from your username as a password.
Password Change Required
Problem: User gets a 'Password change required' error message.
Causes: Password must be changed due to system security policies.
Problem: User gets a 'Password expired' error message.
Causes: Password must be changed every 90 days due to system security policies.
Password Recently Changed
Problem: Password cannot be changed more than once per hour using the Web interface.
Causes: This is due to system security policies, to prevent system abuse.
No Secret Questions
Problem: User tries to reset password and receives error message 'This account does not have any secret questions and thus cannot perform a forgotten password reset'.
Causes: Staff accounts do not have the ability to reset forgotten passwords.