Faculty/Staff Support - Niagara College i>Clicker
i>Clicker @ Niagara
What are clickers?
Clickers, also known as student or classroom response systems, are small remote-like devices that allow members of an audience to make selections that are collected by a receiver. This innovative tool allows students to participate in classes and answer questions provided by the instructor. Instructors can request an i>Clicker receiver at no cost for use in their classes. Instructors can simply connect the receiver to their laptop or classroom podium computer and run the software to spark class participation. A student’s i>Clicker remote is associated with his or her College username which allows instructors to gather participation data.
Why might I want to teach with clickers?
- Using clickers enhances student learning and interest. Research shows student grades, accomplishment of learning outcomes, and interest in subject matter all increase when clickers are effectively used, especially in large lecture classes.
- Using clickers provides immediate feedback to the instructor on whether students are “getting it.” If they aren’t, the instructor can present the information in an alternative way to enhance learning, rather than awaiting numerous poor grades on the next assessment.
- Using clickers increases student attendance in class.
How can I start using them?
- contact the bookstore to place an order. Sufficient numbers of clickers must be ordered for your class in advance. It is best to place your order at the same time as ordering your textbooks. Students will then purchase the clickers at the beginning of the term.
- be sure to inform students that clickers are required for the course in the CIS. It's also a good idea to indicate how they will be used and if they will factor in the grade distribution for the course.
- contact the Library to request an i>Clicker Instructors Kit.
Can I use clickers to grade students?
Individual student responses to clicker questions are recorded by the clicker software and can be used to grade student progress. Recording grades on clicker questions can provide an incentive for students to attend and participate in class. However, the learning process is enhanced when students are not overly anxious to participate, so low-stakes grading is advised. If desired, clicker grades can be uploaded into the Blackboard Gradebook.
Why i>Clicker @ Niagara College?
In April 2008, the College began supporting the i>Clicker system, based on a recommendation from a pilot project conducted over the Winter 2008 term. This means that the CEPD will be providing training and technical support for instructors, and integrating i>Clicker with Blackboard.
A single, small, portable receiver collects responses from more than 1000 students virtually instantaneously. i>Clicker can be used in any multimedia classroom on campus. The i>Clicker program (Windows and Mac compatible) works independently of any program running on the instructor’s computer, permitting use of questions developed in any program.
How do I start using the i>Clicker system?
- Contact the Welland bookstore (x7609) to place an order. Ordering should be done at the program or divisional level. Students require only one clicker for all classes, so faculty in a program/division should calculate and order the total number of clickers that they will require. It is best to place your order at the same time as ordering your textbooks. Students will then purchase the clickers at the beginning of the term.
- Be sure to inform students that clickers are required for the course in the CIS. It's also a good idea to indicate how they will be used and if they will factor in the grade distribution for the course.
- Contact the Library to request an i>Clicker Instructors Kit (starting mid-August 2008), which includes a receiver, blue i>clicker remote and a USB key with required software and documentation.
How much do the clickers cost for students?
- Cost is $36.75 at the campus bookstore.
- Bookstore will buy back for approximately $18.00 (must be in working condition).
- Used clickers (as they become available) will sell for approximately $27.56.
Information and Instructions
Where can I get support?
- Office Location: Welland Campus, Room S-102
- Telephone: ext. 7860